You will no doubt be aware that the Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation continues to develop around the world. The Government continues to respond to the outbreak and issue further advice on a regular basis. Please always use the latest Government advice as your primary reference.
Last Updated: 21st March 2020 18:00
The Scout Association have instructed all face-to-face Scout meetings, activities and events at 1st Farnsfield Scout Group must be suspended from tomorrow, Tuesday, 17 March 2020. This suspension applies to young people and adults, and will be until further notice.
On this page we are not looking to reiterate points that Public Health England or the Government are communicating but rather what the group are doing and the potential scenarios that may arise.
The Executive Committee and Section Leaders are all in agreement we must continue to respond to the developing situation in a calm, measured and appropriate way in line with government advice. We must plan to safeguard our members and the financial implications it may have.
The group understand members and parents may have questions about how Coronavirus (COVID-19) will affect the operation of Scouts here in Farnsfield. These questions may be about holding weekly Scout meetings, running/camps events or upcoming international trips. The following gives some areas we have plans in place for.
Events & Camps
We believe it is still best to continue running Scouting. A key part of this is events and residentials. We are ensuring that if an event is cancelled that refunds will be available and/or the event will be rescheduled. We will give the earliest notice possible for cancellation of events.
Displaying Symptoms or Ill
Anyone who is ill or displaying symptoms should follow the guidance given by Public Health England. Please notify us that this is the case via email, phone call or text message so that we can take appropriate action. As of 16th March this will result in people staying away from Scouts for 14 days.
We are ran by adult volunteers. If we have insufficient adults to run a session it will need to be cancelled. Adult leaders who are following Public Health England guidance may not be able to run a session. We will let you know of the cancellation as soon as possible.
On An Evening
All sections are encouraging hand washing more regularly inline with government advice.
There are groups of people that are more vulnerable to the virus. We are monitoring who may be more vulnerable to the virus and will take appropriate action aligned to Government advice.
At the current time membership of The Scout Association requires us to continue to pay the termly fee. The Executive Committee are continuing to review this and as we get closer to the 1st May we will assess what we need to do. If we are closed then it does look that we will pause subs until we restart. Scouting will still continue through Scouts at Home activities and badges plus any virtual scout meetings.
Scouts at Home
We already have available Scouts at Home packs which you can find here. This includes the Summer of Skills pack which we released in summer 2019 that gives 45 activities to do at home to help gain skills for life. You will also find on Scouts at Home 20+ badge and activities to do to contribute towards a badge. How simple! Take a look at the activities and enjoy. We also working with Parent Portal to have additional packs available to help support any closure and to enable virtual Scouting.
The following significant events are being held over the next six months and into 2021.
VE Activity Weekend
We are continuing to organise a great VE Activity Weekend and Celebration. As the outbreak continues it is looking less likely we will be able to organise this. We are monitoring the health situation and look to make a decision by 8th April 2020. If we decide to not hold the camp then money will be refunded or an alternative date will be advertised. This may mean we move the camp to July or later in the year.
St Georges Day Parade (CANCELLED)
This is a District led event. As of 15th March, the district have taken the decision to postpone the event for 2020.
Annual Awards & Review (AGM)
The Executive Committee are organising the Annual Awards & Review for Tuesday 14th July. We are closely monitoring whether this will be impacted.
Summer Camp 2020 - Tolmers
The camp is in late August so we will closely monitor this. The cancellation policy allows us to cancel at a very low cost to the group. We will make a decision whether we go ahead before 22nd June as this will incur further financial impact. If we cancel then a full refund will be provided.
Summer Camp 2021 - Kandersteg
This is still very much going ahead but due to the exchange rate the cost of the camp has increased dramatically and it has impacted our insurance. The group is making a decision whether we continue the event at the end of August 2020. This does create a risk that the campsite is not available but we see the safeguarding members and the group financially as most important here at this time of the outbreak.